Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Is Lieberman Just Bitter?


The fact that Joe Lieberman is set to block the public option has many liberals irate. In this post, I also took him to task, and questioned the logic behind his move. But I’m not sure there’s an ulterior motive here.

Some are now saying that Lieberman opposes the public option purely out of spite. He is angry that he could not win the Democratic nomination in 2004, and that he lost a primary for his Senate seat in 2006. So now he’s getting payback.

The problem is that Lieberman also opposed many of President Clinton’s proposed reforms back in the 1990s. Was he bitter then?

Also, remember that Lieberman is not the only holdup on the public option. Senators Bayh, Landrieu, and Nelson have also expressed concern about the public option. I have said before why I think a public option is good, and hence why they are wrong, but I don’t think it’s fair to ascribe malicious motives to any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment